Gold Medal Plate Competition
Kelowna, BC
February 11, 2012

• Help chefs plate their dishes in a timely and effective manner

Working alongside with some of the top chefs in Canada was a rewarding experience. I learned many valuable lessons that equipped myself with the necessary skills needed to be a successful educator. Volunteer experience is an opportunity I wish I was told to partake in during my younger years as a student. I believe volunteering provides students with a sense of responsibility to their community and provides opportunities to help those in need. My future classroom will be a place where students are encouraged to provide support and positivity to those who need it. By showing students the value of volunteering, it teaches them to be accountable and realize that not all work requires a physical reward, but to value the feeling of helping someone.

Gala – Thompson Rivers University
Kamloops, BC
February 4, 2012

• Plate dishes for the event in a timely and effective manner
  • Listen for additional instructions

A large group of Culinary Arts Students gathered in the Old Main building and provided the fundraising Gala with meals. Participating in activities such as these provided me with a love for fast paced environments and caring for the well-being of individuals. When supplying meals for large groups it is important to ensure you are following important food handling precautions and following the rules of food safety. Working in an environment such as this, you need to be constantly aware of your surroundings to avoid injury and effectively time manage to ensure everything runs smoothly and successfully.  

Accolades – Thompson Rivers University
Kamloops, BC
September 2012 – April 2013

• Preparation work for the dining room to be ready for service.

Helping the on-campus restaurant with their preparations helped with my attention for detail and the importance of quality vs. quantity. I am a strong believer that producing quality work is far more valuable than producing large quantities. This restaurant held only a few seats in their dining room, meaning the meals that were being sent out needed to be impeccable and visually appealing. I know that my passion for food will have positive effects in my classroom as I will have expectations that students are to produce their best work. Cooking was not only a job for me, but a passion and an art form.

Residential School Kitchen
Kamloops, BC
April 2012

• Provided preparation help to a function happening within the Indigenous community.

During this time at the residential school, I was able to see what the kitchen was like for those who resided at the school. This was an experience of a life time to be invited into the school to help prepare food for their community. During my time in the course EDIE 3100, our professor was able to book a tour for our class to learn about some of the history of the school. I found this to be a valuable experience in that I was able to make connections from my course work and apply that to my memories from volunteering within the walls of the school.