Childcare Provider: 2008 – 2014

Thinking back to when I first started as a childcare provider, it’s hard to imagine a fifteen-year-old girl caring for someone else’s child. But reflecting back on this, I know that having the responsibility to care for a child is an important attribute and skill to develop. I know that having these experiences equipped myself with the caring and compassionate nature needed in order to work with vulnerable peoples. I remember this being my favourite job experience when I was younger, in that I was able to find creative and innovative ways to entertain the children, rather than having them play video games. Keeping the children active was something I strived to accomplish every time I was hired to look after children.

Storms on the River Restaurant: 2014 – 2015

Working at this job helped me discover my need to pursue my dream of becoming a teacher. The more time I devoted toward cooking the more my passion for it began to diminish. I did not want to lose my passion for cooking as it was something I have always loved to do, so I knew that I needed to begin my new chapter in life. Changing careers is a very unsettling experience as feelings of failure enter the mind. However, I did not want to feel as though I failed and found ways to see this change as a positive rather than a negative. I believe this experience is essential for how I will teach life lessons to young children. Helping to show students the importance of positive mindsets and following dreams.

Sandbar Restaurant and Don Cherry’s Sports Bar: 2015 – Present 

Prior to working as a server, I was very much an introvert. This job helped me come out of my shell and embrace communication. I knew that social skills would be a large requirement of being a teacher, so I am beyond thankful for this job opportunity helping me to become who I am today. This restaurant is located in Salmon Arm, B.C on the lake, attached to a hotel. The conversations I had with all the customers that crossed my path helped to expand my breadth of knowledge about the world. I had opportunities to talk to people that came from all parts of the world, all having different experiences and stories to share. Reflecting on this experience I have seen first-hand one of the values of the First Peoples Principles of Learning, “learning is embedded in memory, history, and story.”