Oregon Coast: 2011

This trip along the Oregon Coast had many valuable learning moments. My family and myself traveled with an RV and camped along the way allowing us the opportunity to take advantage of the history, geography, geology and nature of the area. I have always had a passion for history and geology which was perfect for the only type of travel my family took, by vehicle. Having the opportunity to get out of the car along the way, and take in all that travelling has to offer is quiet the experience. Teaching children to value the small moments in life is an important learning experience in that not all learning is substantial but sometimes the smallest things can be the most valuable.

Hawaii: 2014

My family’s trip to Hawaii was a pivotal moment in my life. My nan passed away and it was our first Christmas without her. Not only did I lose a positive influence in my life, but by this point I was no longer happy working toward my passion of becoming a chef. This trip was a valuable experience toward my decision to follow my dream of becoming a teacher. I had plenty of time to reflect and process over a three-week period, and when we returned back to Canada, I applied to the Bachelor of Arts program for the coming fall semester. During my first year back in a post-secondary atmosphere at Thompson Rivers University, I found it very difficult to get back into the swing of academic courses. However, long hours and dedication paid off with my acceptance into the Bachelor of Education program.

Tijuana Mexico: 2008 

Travelling here was an experience to remember. The cultural differences when you cross the border is eye-opening. My experience from travelling here has influenced the way I view cultural diversities and the importance of respecting and understanding every individual. It amazes me the vast differences I witnessed from just crossing the border, it looked like an entirely different world. I believe these experiences help guide educators to become better versions of themselves and provide opportunities to continue to learn. Thinking back on my education, I remember the true value toward my learning and understanding from experiencing field trips and hands-on learning.